Skip to Main Content


Juvenile Court Improvement Program
1163 State Street
Salem, OR 97301-2563

Phone: 503.986.5618
Fax: 503.986.5859
Oregon Relay Service-711


Indian Child Welfare Act Self-Test

4.  If the court believes that the child is an Indian child but the identity of the tribe can not be determined, what should the court do?

(a) contact the Secretary of the Interior but proceed as if ICWA does not apply

(b) failure to acknowledge specific tribal identity satisfies the ICWA requirements and therefore ICWA does not apply in the proceeding

(c) contact the Secretary of the Interior and proceed as if ICWA applies until otherwise determined by the Secretary

(d) contact the nearest Oregon tribe, which is a reasonable means of ascertaining tribal identity under ICWA. Proceed as if ICWA applies until the tribe responds