Skip to Main Content


If an abuser is monitoring your computer activity, it may be impossible to erase all trace of the sites you visit on your computer or mobile device. Click here for information on erasing your browser’s history. ​Learn more about safety and technology at

Important Information About Links to Other Sites

This webpage has many links to other websites that were not created by the Oregon Judicial Department.  The Department has not reviewed these websites for accuracy or appropriateness, and the Department is not responsible for their contents or policies.    


1. Crisis help and information about local programs

24-Hour Hotlines for Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Stalking Assistance: 

Statewide Directory of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Programs:

Safety Plan Information:  

If you need help planning for your safety in an abusive relationship, the domestic violence or sexual assault program in your area can help customize a safety plan specific to your situation. You can find additional information on safety plans at the links below:  


       Safety and Technology:

-Back to Top- 

2.   Information about protective (restraining) orders 

Learn about protecting yourself from abuse:

Forms and instructions for getting, modifying, and renewing protective orders:

Getting electronic notice about service and renewal of your protection order:

Protective Order Electronic Notification Project - provides notification regarding service and expiration of protection orders in Family Abuse Protection Orders (FAPAs), Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities Abuse Prevention Act (EPPDAPA) and Civil Stalking cases by cell phone text message or email.

No Contact Orders:

A “no contact order” is an order in a criminal case that tells the defendant not to contact the victim.  A judge can order no contact anytime during a criminal case or a no contact order may be required if the defendant is released from jail before trial and sentencing.  A no contact order can also be a probation requirement.  If the defendant violates the no contact order, he or she may be re-arrested and jailed.  A no contact order is different from a “restraining order” like a Family Abuse Prevention Act order or stalking protective order.  If you have questions about no contact orders you can call the Victim Assistance Program in your county.

-Back to Top- 

3.  Divorce, child custody, parenting time, and child support information         

General information: 

Family Law

  • Legal Aid’s “Family Law in Oregon” (booklet) answers many common questions about family law, divorce, custody, and parenting time (visitation) and child and spousal support.
  • The Oregon State Bar has a family law resource page with general information on a number of topics. 

Paternity - Courts cannot make orders about custody, parenting time, and child support unless the legal relationship (paternity) between a child and his or her biological father has been established.  The Oregon Division of Child Support has a website with information and resources about establishing paternity.

Child Support – Child support can be ordered as part of a divorce or child custody case filed in court.  Your local district attorney or Division of Child Support office also can establish and/or collect child support for you at no charge. Oregon’s Division of Child Support has a website with information about establishing and collecting child support, including child support calculators, rules, and program information.  

Forms and resources for doing your own divorce or custody order:

The Oregon Judicial Department’s Family Law Web Site has many of the forms and instructions you need to file for or respond to a divorce or custody case.

  • Forms for waiver and deferral of fees for filing and completing divorce and custody cases also are available.  Note: there are no fees for restraining or stalking protective orders.
  • Many counties have family law facilitators who can help you with forms and/or the process of getting divorce or custody.  Contact your local facilitator for more information about what services are available in your county.   

Information on making and enforcing parenting time plans:

-Back to Top- 

4.  Information for crime victims

Oregon Department of Justice, Crime Victims Services Division - information for crime victims, including the payment of expenses related to the crime. 

County Victim Assistance Programs - District Attorneys Offices have trained advocates that can help you navigate the criminal justice system, understand your rights and refer you to resources in your community that can offer support.  If you need help, please call the Victim Assistance Program in the county where your case is being handled.

VINE - anyone can call the service at 1-877-OR-4-VINE to ask about the current status of an offender/prisoner or register to receive immediate notification if an offender/prisoner is released, transferred, escapes, dies, or if there is other important probation and parole information.

Oregon Crime Victims Law CenterThe Oregon Crime Victims Law Center can provide victims of crime with no-cost legal help in asserting and enforcing their rights. To be eligible for legal assistance from the Center you must be a victim or a survivor of a victim who is involved with a criminal or juvenile case that is either pending or has unresolved issues.

 -Back to Top- 

5.  Confidentiality and Privacy

Confidentiality and Privacy for Victims of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Stalking - (brochure) explains the ways that victims can protect their personal information. 

The Address Confidentiality Program is a free mail forwarding service provided by the Oregon Department of Justice to help survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking, or stalking stay safe (includes provision of a substitute address).

If you are a participant in the Address Confidentiality Program and are considering changing your name, Name Change information and forms are available.



Technology Safety and Cyberstalking Resources – the web sites below have information about how to protect your personal information over the internet:

National Network to End Domestic Violence  
National Center for Victims of Crime

Protecting your information in court cases - to help protect your private information, the courts require the use of a form, called a “Confidential Information Form” (CIF), in family law cases.  (Scroll to the bottom of the page for the form.)

Family Abuse Prevention Act restraining orders have their own CIF forms, which are included in the restraining order form packets.

-Back to Top- 

6.  Other legal protections for victims of abuse

Housing rights:

Workplace rights: 

Immigration rights:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services - “Information on the Legal Rights Available to Immigrant Victims of Domestic Violence in the United States and Facts about Immigrating on a Marriage-Based Visa” (pamphlet).

More information from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services about relief for immigrant victims:

-Back to Top- 

7.  Financial assistance for abuse victims

Temporary Assistance for Domestic Violence Survivors (TA-DVS) - a program of the Oregon Department of Human Services that provides financial help to meet critical safety needs of families at risk because of domestic violence.  Immigration status is not a barrier to this safety-related assistance.

Unemployment Benefits – victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking may be eligible for unemployment benefits.   For more information, see Legal Aid’s “Unemployment Benefits for Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault or Stalking Survivors.” (flyer). 

Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) - for information about other types of assistance that may be available from the Oregon Department of Human Services, including cash assistance such as Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) and food stamps (SNAP).

DHS also has a brochure called “What do you need to be safe?” that gives a brief overview of what services are available for people who come to DHS while in a domestic violence situation:

For information about medical assistance:

    • OHP Customer Service 1-800-699-9075
    • Division of Medical Assistance Programs, Administrative Office 1-800-527-5772
    • Application & Eligibility Questions 1-800-699-9075
    • General Member Questions 1-800-273-0557
    • Cover Oregon Questions 1-855-CoverOR  (1-855-268-3767)

Legal Aid’s Public Benefits Hotline provides legal advice and representation to low income people living in Oregon who are having problems with government benefits.  (800) 520-5292.

-Back to Top- 

8.  Getting a Lawyer/Legal Help

Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral and Modest Means Programs - The Lawyer Referral program refers individuals to lawyers for an initial low-cost consultation.  The Modest Means program helps moderate-income Oregonians find affordable legal assistance.  800-452-7636

Legal Aid - if you are low income, a legal aid office may be able to help.  Find the office for your county.



-Back to Top- 

9.  More information and online resources about domestic violence

National Resources:

Statewide Resources:

 -Back to Top-

10.  Resources for the Legal Community 

    Firearms and Domestic Violence Resources:

    -Back to Top-