Oregon Certified Court Interpreter Credential via Reciprocity
Oregon allows examination reciprocity for interpreters who have taken examinations in some other Consortium member states or who have taken the Federal Court Interpreting Examination. Oregon also allows examination reciprocity for RID ASL interpreters holding the Specialist Certificate: Legal (SC:L) who are not Oregon residents. Examination reciprocity is the first step leading towards certification reciprocity and is met by interpreters who have achieved an appropriate score on the:
- Federal Court Interpreting Examination (FCICE) or,
- Court Interpreting Oral Examination or,
- RID Specialist Certificate: Legal Examination
and meet the following requirements:
- All segments of the examination must be passed in one sitting,
- The examination must be administered and rated in accordance with Oregon requirements,
- The minimum scores on each section must meet Oregon requirements, and
- The candidate must not have tested in another state for certification during the previous 12 months.
Each candidate who has met the requirements for examination reciprocity above must also meet the following requirements:
- Submit verification that the interpreter remains in good standing in the Consortium state, the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, or with the RID.
- Pass a criminal history check.
- Attend an Ethics Orientation conducted by CIS.
- Achieve a passing score on the Ethics Examination.
- Complete and submit documentation of at least 150 hours of court interpreting services during the 12 months prior to application in courts of record in Oregon or Consortium member states, federal courts of record, or where the interpreter is sworn in and the record can be presented into evidence.
- Complete the application process.
- Take the Interpreter's Oath administered by an Oregon State Court Judge.
Prior to completing the Application for Oregon Reciprocity Certification, or the Application for Oregon Reciprocity ASL Certification, contact the Certification and Training Program by emailing Court.Interpreter.Program@ojd.state.or.us to ensure that you meet the reciprocity requirements.