Having earned the Oregon Certified Court Interpreter Credential, your certified status and credential must be renewed every three years. Oregon certified court interpreters must complete and submit documentation to CIS 45 days prior to the date of credential expiration. This application must include the following:
- The credential renewal fee and application.
- Documentation of the appropriate number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
- Information necessary to conduct a criminal history check.
Additional renewal requirements include submitting documentation of completion of the following:
- 120 hours of interpreting services in courts of record in Oregon or Consortium member states, federal courts of record, or where the interpreter is sworn in and the record can be submitted into evidence.
- 25 total approved CEUs during the credential renewal period as follows:
- 5 ethics-specific units
- 10 general units
- 10 language specific units
Continuing Education Requirements
Interpreters are responsible to keep abreast of local, regional, and nationwide continuing education events in order to meet the requirements of the Code of Professional Responsibility for Interpreters in the Oregon Courts and credential renewal requirements.
CEUs will be awarded for educational activities that have been preapproved by CIS. For all non-OJD sponsored continuing educational activities, the interpreter must submit educational activity information to CIS for approval at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the activity using the CIS application.
For complete renewal details, check State Court Administrator Policies for the Oregon Judicial Department's Oregon Certified Court Interpreter Program and the Renewal Application for Oregon Court Interpreter Certification